Ahyiana Angel is a podcaster, two-time published author, speaker, and freelancer. Her podcast, Switch, Pivot, or Quit—ranked as a must-listen by GirlBoss—parallels her own life story where she quit her coveted day-job in PR, pivoted directions, and switched to a path of her own making. Today, Forbes, Create Cultivate, and GirlBoss ranked her podcast as a must-listen, while iTunes featured it under “podcasts for bold women.”
Ahyiana is a fearless firecracker, one who is never at a loss for a good story (or a pop of red lipstick). She shares how she prioritizes, how she managed to find time to write two books, and how she creates processes for every component of her business. But here’s an interesting thing about Ahyiana: As bold of a woman as she is, never once did she want to become an entrepreneur (and still prefers the word freelancer to entrepreneur). She tells us, “I never wanted to be an entrepreneur—I was just trying to find my happy.”
Discussed in this episode:
- She self-identifies as: An encourager
- The moment she understood the corporate lifestyle wasn’t for her: When she realized she hated being told what to do
- Her first business as an entrepreneur: A jewelry business, which she side-hustled while working at 9-5
- Her mantra while writing a book: “The only way I’ll self-publish is if every other publisher turns me down…I see this book on shelves.”
- After she quit her job, she: Picked up and moved to London
- A niche she found in the podcasting market: There wasn’t enough places where women could cheer each other on without an ulterior motive.
- Tactics she tried before podcasting: Starting a YouTube channel, writing all day, women-focused brunches, events
- The part of being an entrepreneur that’s most outside her comfort zone: All of it. Her parents taught her being an adult meant going to college, getting a job, and having a 401k
- How she organizes her time: She only records podcasts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Other days are for admin work, content creation, and client calls.
- How she balances free content with getting paid: “The podcast—that’s free; but if you want want me to specifically talk about your situation, you have to pay for that.”
- How she made time to write a book: Waking up an hour earlier each morning
- How she thinks about publicity: You need to tell people how to use you. As creatives, we don’t want to be put in a box. But sometimes, you have to put yourself in a box so people can understand what you do.
- Where she finds inspiration from: Her peers.
- What she loves most about her personality: Being bold.
- What she does to relax: Watch vlogging on YouTube or crime shows on TV.
Switch, Pivot, or Quit online
Switch, Pivot or Quit on Instagram
Switch, Pivot, or Quit on Twitter
Switch, Pivot, or Quit on Facebook
Mayzie Media online
Mayzie Media on Instagram
Kara on Instagram
Compass Fitness, Denver Colorado
Tara on Instagram
Tara on YouTube